Indigenous Relations Policy
Skeena Geomatics Indigenous Relations Policy
- Recognizes constitutionally protected Aboriginal rights
- Respects the uniqueness of individual Indigenous Peoples, their cultures, and their constitutionally protected rights, and
- will work towards Reconciliation to restore harmony between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people.
- Internally assess our organization’s level of understanding and support for Indigenous People and issues
- Commit time to learn about Indigenous Peoples and Indigenous issues
- Support the inherent right of Indigenous self-government
- Support the idea of respect, recognition and reconciliation of constitutionally protected Aboriginal rights
- Perform research to develop a holistic understanding of the Indigenous Peoples with whom we may develop a relationship
- Evaluate and transform our relationships with Indigenous Peoples to sustain long-term and mutually beneficial relationships
- Foster Indigenous participation in the geomatics industry
- Develop an inclusive work environment and will hire and train Indigenous members wherever possible
- Maximize the benefits (economic, employment & training) to the Indigenous communities where we work
- Respect the environment and protect it and people by including Indigenous local knowledge
- Communicate this policy to all employees, consultants and contractors working for Skeena Geomatics.
Skeena Geomatics Organizational Pledge of Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples
In the spirit of reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples in Canada,
Skeena Geomatics solemnly pledges to:
1. Commit to honoring the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada’s 92nd Call to Action for reconciliation, Business and Reconciliation.
2. Support progressive improvement in our Indigenous relations by encouraging my organization to participate in the Progressive Aboriginal Relations (PAR) program of the Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business.
3. Commit to an in-house community investment strategy that is developed through joint planning with the Indigenous communities involved and aligns with the goals and interests of those communities.
4. Support our organization in ensuring employment opportunities are open to Indigenous candidates and making career development opportunities available.
5. Support our organization in creating a working environment that is inclusive and welcoming for Indigenous employees.
6. Identify contracting or procurement opportunities for Indigenous businesses and economic development corporations.
7. Commit to generating positive and lasting change in my professional and personal life.